Comptoir Libanais is one of those rare breeds of restaurant where vegan food is not only available but could be assumed. Their Lebanese cuisine largely involves mezze, tagines, wraps; wonderfully light yet filling food. 

Honestly, I was a little dubious going to Comptoir Libanais when it first opened an Exeter branch. Lebanese food can be the epitome of a Mediterranean diet: chock-a-block with both fresh and oily fish with an abundance of fruit and vegetables. However, despite the fact that a number of dishes heavily feature lamb and chicken it is surprisingly easy to be a vegan due to the prevalence of mezze. I wasn't sure really what mezze was

After a quick google search, my mum and I walked inside to a visual concoffony of colour and knick-knacks. Because of how big the restaurant space is, their interior decor ends up looking kind of kitsch instead of overwhelming. Just.
d



There was plenty of seating available, although we did go in for a late lunch so that probably had something to do with it. I ordered the selection of dips from the vegan image which involves, you guessed it, a selection of dips. Specifically, a gorgeous mound of hummus (hommos?) topped with chickpeas, a cheeky baba ganoush (ghanuj) and an organic labneh, with pickled vegetables and toasted pitta. 

Labneh, I discovered halfway through the hummus, is a yogurt which has had the whey strained out to form a cheese. Which I am pretty sure is not vegan - although I could be mistaken. I didn't eat that part.

The hummus however, was cracking. Smooth and creamy with a drizzling of olive oil and raw chickpeas. I could live on good hummus and pitta bread it is so good.
d

My mum ordered the chicken kofta with a side salad and although it looks small, she really struggled to finish it all! Tender and rich, my mum argued that it was the perfect late lunch - small, yet filling. 
f

With an average of £10-£15 a head, Comptoir Libanais is a solid choice for a meal out with friends or family. Reasonably cheap, yet maintaining a sense of occasion. Their menu is not yet ubiquitous on the high street, so it still maintains its great quirky novelty. At least it is not another "Italian" or burger place.
r


Address:

Queen Street,
Exeter,
EX43HP

(01392) 249 588


Opening Times:

Mon-Sat: 8:30am - 11:30pm
Sun: 9am - 10:30pm