Who here is heard of a Grilled Romaine? 
No one? 
Thank god, it makes for a far more interesting post. 

The first time I was introduced to Grilled Romaine (I think I went to Hebrew school with her), I was at a friends house. She was apologising for not having any food in and so was whipping up something simple. I should say that this friend is a far superior cook and is married to an Italian fella, so I tend to trust her implicitly in the kitchen. That said, I have to say I raised an eyebrow when she put down half a lettuce in front of me with a small pot of rice and lentils and a bottle of olive oil. Still, I didn't want to be rude, so I tucked in.

It was remarkable. Somehow, my friend managed to make a lettuce taste like a jacket potato. With that classic Italian extra of adding olive oil and salt, this low-carb dish reminded me about what I love about cooking. You can make anything taste however you want. By the time I got home, I had bought a 4 pack of Romaine lettuce (so about 8 dishes worth) and an extra bottle of oil to experiment.

Fast forward two years, and I think I've cracked it. It still doesn't taste like a jacket potato, but they don't catch on fire anymore or remain chilly to the touch (it's been a turbulent process). It was so worth it though. This dish is low-carb, nutrient-rich, stupidly easy and ridiculously tasty, to the point that when I make it for my friends at dinner parties (check it out on my Instagram), they raise their eyebrows, take a tentative taste before wolfing it down with delightful gusto. They compliment me, ask for the recipe, and I get to feel smug for the rest of the day. Honestly, it is close to the perfect dish.

 Check out the recipe below, but first, a few hopefully helpful hints:


  • Try and use an oil with a high smoke point in the pan to avoid anything accidentally catching on fire
  • There is a lot of moisture in lettuce and as such, it is likely to spit if the temperature is too high
  • Don't be fearful about overcooking the outer leaves - because the inside of the lettuce does not get access to any direct heat, it needs longer to cook so the outer leaves will end up a little chared when fully cooked. It tastes great though, so don't worry!

Recipe -

  1. Preheat grill on a medium heat and lightly oil with a high smoke point oil - I prefer sunflower oil - season with salt and pepper
  2. Slice the romaine lettuce vertically down the middle and place both halves in the pan cut-side-down
  3. Cook until wilted and slightly charred
  4. Place cut-side-up on a warm plate, drizzle extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt
  5. Serve with a slice of lemon, or my favourite, a chilli salsa and houmous